Sunday, August 31, 2008

Epic Epic.

Race day started early as I drove myself down to Peppers, the finish line for my days racing. Travelling solo was different, usually it is a car full of mates laughing and trash talking but it gave me time to think through my race and my aims for the day. I had booked myself to get the bus and to have my bike transported to the start for me by the race organisers. Problem one. An hour before the bus was due to leave, the bike truck is already CHOCKERS. As in no more bikes folks. Crap!!!! Luckily some guys drove past on their way out to head to the 50km start line, and they had a spare slot on their trailer. I didn't have to be asked twice. THANKS to Neil and his mates. You guys totally saved my ass.

Ok, so happy to be on the start line I thanked my new buds and headed off to find my WRB race mates. Found Trickle, who was peaking out. He made me feel positively calm!! Deef and Nick weren't too far behind and were their typical laid back selves. Rolled around for a 3 minute warm up before realising my start was not too far away and then we were off. Managed to get lost in the paddocks in the first 5 km, somehow missing a turn off. First extras of the day were in the bank! Climbing barbed wire fences while lifting bikes is not hot. Recovered I was back on track only to be caught in a little traffic. The hills were bad (walkers), but the loose downs were worse.... people were going so slow it was dangerous stall territory. I was passed by another girl and let her go. Having avoided an OTB, I made it out onto the road. It was not long before Trickle found me, and dropped me like a hot rock..... I felt like crap and was struggling to push 25km/hr on the road. I tried for his wheel, but there was no way I was holding his pace so he disappeared chasing the leaders in his class. Shortly we turned upwards for the first climb of the day. Seemed brutally steep and everything was burning by the top but strangely enough this seemed to sort something out. Coming off the other side I felt great and started to ride strong. I tried not to think about whether there were girls in front of me and focused inward on riding strong and steady. Coming through checkpoint 3 one of the elite girls and her riding partner blew by me onto the road. I knew if I let them go I would be looooong gone so I pushed to jump on the back of the 5 or 6 rider train. We hammered along clocking 40km/hr and I was feeling awesome. As soon as we hit the offroad I put on a move and attacked on the climb. Quick look over the shoulder confirmed I had dropped her and then onwards. Who should I find on the next road section but Trickle!!! He informed me he had blown.... BIG TIME. I told him to get on my wheel and did my best to encourage him along. I also found the other girl who passed me in the first 5 km. Again I waited till we hit the offroad and a climb and attacked. This time there was only about 12km to go so I didn't look back and focused instead on just riding as fast as I could.

Worked a treat. Held them both off and rode in 2.57, 1st place Open womens and 2nd overall.
Spent the afternoon eating steak sandwiches and chomps (thanks fly) and thinking I may just come back for next year. Top day.

1 comment:

Trickle said...

Nice work Rach, I had a feeling you had it in you. Imagine how you will be riding when you are training!