Tuesday, October 23, 2012

BCRI Northshore Criterium


Koiled headed out to Hamilton Harbour for the BCRI Northshore Crit.  I was looking forward to a straight up women's race after some of the fun and games mixed racing has been dishing up of late - and I was not disappointed.  

What a great course.  With several tight 90' corners this was a course that gave away free speed to those who could ride the corners.  Locked and loaded that.  Added difficulty points were awarded as one of the water filled barriers was leaking onto the road, creating a wet metal drainage cover in the middle of the last corner heading into the finishing straight - made a mental note NOT to ride over that.

With temperatures well into the 30's it was a sizzling 30min + 3.  I decided to keep the pace up and did a heap of work.  Big props to the Data3 girls who were keen to ride hard and try and start something up.  Excellent racing!  

It is rare we get a prime, and I while some people allow the prime to go and concentrate on the finish - I never let the opportunity go.  What if I did, and I punctured? If you can contest it do - so I did and was surprised to find myself well off the front for the prime with no challengers.   That was one in my pocket.

Coming into the last three laps, I did my best to keep the pace up and make everyone work.  Last lap I figured I would use my mountain biking skills and I sprinted into the first 90' knowing most would not follow at that speed.... Ride of the day goes to Donna from HPRW who had a pedal strike and did exceptionally well to keep it rubber side down (even if a little sideways) in the last lap corners!  Mad skills.

I made it through the second 90' corner and into the straight and consolidated my effort.  I knew the girls would need to surge to get back on and it would hurt. Perfect.  Then I employed a tactic shared with me by my track fiend TRex Stef.  And it worked a treat.  The prime and the win - in a sprint no less. Thanks BCRI - quality race, quality prize money for the ladies, top location!   See you next year.


Dyane Hannan, Rach Edwards and Kirrily Tutt