Monday, October 6, 2008

8 Hour Enduro Honours.

Raced the 8 hour yesterday.
Had an excellent pit crew lead by Bec my personal punisher, ahem, I mean trainer.
Ran over a snake.
Had a close call with a massive goanna.
Rode with no front brakes.
Regretted not having the new bike properly set up for me.
Cooked in 32 degree heat.
Didn't stop.
Won the solo.
130 kms or so tells me the training is working. Legs felt good, and I coped with the heat better than I expected too. Not spending time getting my bike set up was my biggest issue. The suspension was rock hard leaving me in rigid land. Hands, neck, shoulders and ass are NOT pretty after 8 hours on a rigid. How do those psycho 24 hour solo rigid singlespeeding freaks do it??!

Practiced a few mind tricks to help me remember which lap I was on, and take my mind away from other more unpleasant thoughts (like faarrrrk my neck hurts, and daaaaaaaamn my hands must be blistered under these gloves). Here is how it goes. Take one lap number. Make a up lame rhyme. Repeat. For example; Lap seven. Seven in heaven. Lap eight. trying not to hate! Lap nine feelin fine. Lap ten. In the pen (I don't even know what that means, I think I was belted by this point). Lap eleven better than seven.... But 12 had me beaten - I was blank! Any suggestions?


Big UPS to the WRB crew/ tent city who kept the encouragement coming all day, and jumped in to attend to bike problems without even being asked. Rocking. Was great to see my brother race his first solo race and come in strong. Only one lap behind me - damn, I better step it up!!!

Next stop - a weeks R&R for the family on a remote beach. Ahhh palm trees and cocktails and $12 thai massages.

3 comments:

Russell Worthington said...

Great ride Rach. I was sweltering under the protection of a tent, and you kept trucking all day. Nice new wheels ... and all the best for the 24hr! Russ.

rach edwards said...

thanks Russ. Loved the cheer squad - heard you every time! Was happy with the ride, especially given the heat. A few setup issues to sort on the ridley to beat some neck and shoulder pain - but otherwise smooooooth as. :P

rhino said...

$12 thai massages.....thats a bargin!